Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thing 1-A

The adventure begins.

I work as Director of Student Services for the Barrow County School system. In this capacity I perform a multitude of very varied roles. I supervise school social workers, school nurses, the regular education hospital home bound teacher and student records clerk. Yes, we all do have a permanent file that tells all about our experiences and accomplishments in grade school. I am also the Homeless Liaison and Title IV (Safe and Drug Free Schools and Communities) coordinator for the school system. Data collections, the reporting of student data to the Georgia Department of Education and US Department of Education as required by law, is another responsibility of mine. These are my primary roles but there are many others too numerous to list here.

I am a social worker by training who came to public education in mid career. This is my 14th year in education all of which have been served with Barrow County Schools. Although I have the same title, my job is much different this year than it was when I started.

This is actually my second blog this school year. The first was begun out of necessity. I was looking for a way to keep people informed about current information related to H1N1 as it relates to the Barrow County School system without flooding their email boxes with detailed information to sift through. The blog provides a tool that allows people to get as much or as little information as they want on the subject. Thus my blogging adventure began. I hope to learn more about this and other Web 2.0 tools that I can use to do my job more effectively and more efficiently.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome Ken!! It's great to have you on board for the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job, Ken! Looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ken. I've got to admit you grabbed me with the H1N1 blog. What is it's url? The best part is that this class will teach you how we can still teach children if everyone gets sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard! I work with Susan at the ELC. Her class is across the hall from mine. I am the Bramlett class. She asked me if we were taking the same class, but I didn't realize that we were until I looked at the spreadsheet and saw everyone's name. I saw on the news (Good Morning America) that the southern states (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee) had more swine flu than the northern ones. They said it was due to the fact that we start school earlier than the northern states, and kids were a factor in spreading the germs. Would this influence our starting school later than we do? That thought hit me when I saw that segment on GMA this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken,
    I look forward to reading your blogs during this class. I also will be interested to see how you relate this class to the H1N1 and keep us all updated. I also work at the ELC with Susan. I'm the room right beside her. (The pig room not the swine room) She has been trying to get me to come to her house one weekend to teach me to facebook. She said if I can do this, then I can facebook. Not to sure about that yet. Still struggling with some of these different "things", but I'm still struggling along.

    ReplyDelete